First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

William HOGE, Sr.

Male Abt 1660 - Bef 1749  (~ 89 years)

Personal Information    |    PDF

  • Name William HOGE 
    Suffix Sr. 
    Born Abt 1660  Musselburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    AFN 1P8C-GPK 
    History Member of the "70 Families" Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Will 17 Apr 1729  Chester County, PA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died Bef 15 Nov 1749  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 

    • (1) Tyler, James Hoge, The Family of Hoge: a Genealogy, Greensboro, NC: James Fulton Hoge, 1927, pp. 14-20:

      "About the close of the seventeenth century?1682?a young man named William Hoge, son of Sir James Hoge, who was a son of George Hoge, a son of Sir John Hoge, of Musselboro, Scotland, evidently in good circumstances, came to America on account of the religious persecutions under the Stuarts.

      "In In the same ship, the Caledonia, was a family named Hume, from Paisley, Scotland, father, mother, and daughter, Barbara by name. Hume was one of two brothers, men of wealth and standing, who differed on the great questions of the day. One of the brothers 'conformed,' the other, James, was true to the Kirk and the Covenant. He was imprisoned and most of his property confiscated, but through the influence of his brother was released on condition of his emigrating to America.

      "During the long voyage a pestilence broke out in the overcrowded ship and Mr. and Mrs. Hume were among the victims. Barbara was left alone, and William Hoge became her protector. He delivered her and her property into the hands of an uncle, a physician named Johnson, who was already in New York, and he went to Perth Amboy to make himself a home. But it was not a final farewell; an attachment had sprung up between them, and in due time he returned to make her his wife.

      "William Hoge removed from Perth Amboy to Delaware and then to Cumberland Valley in Pennsylvania. Here his eldest son John remained, founding the village of Hogetown. In the church founded by him in 1734, there still exist an old communion service of hammered pewter and a pulpit Bible, the gifts of his family. From him is sprung a branch of the family, scattered from New York to California, but chiefly found in Pennsylvania; men of substance and character; bankers, lawyers, judges, members of Congress, with now and then a minister of the Gospel; leaders in church and state. . . .

      "William Hoge found not his resting place in the Cumberland Valley. About 1735, though advanced in years, he removed with his family, except the elder son John, to Frederick County, Virginia, and settled on the Opequon branch of the Potomac. Here he made his home; here he gave land for a church, a school and a burying ground, the old Opequon Church, the first place of worship in the Valley of Virginia. . . .

      "William Hoge lived full ninety years. He saw his children and his grandchildren serving God and their generation; the honest, God-fearing makers of a new world. God made him forget all his toil, and all his father's house. He sleeps in the old Opequon churchyard. The old church lived on for generations. Three successive buildings arose on the spot, and its sons and daughters went forth to many states, though many sleep around it. At length it was outgrown and in time superseded by the daughter church of. Winchester, Virginia. But, recently the crumbling stones have been built anew, a memorial of the worthy dead." . . .


      WILLIAM HOGE, a-1, was b in Musselboro, Scotland, in 1660, and came to America in 1682. He m Barbara Hume as has been explained.

      Children ? Generation b ? Hoge

      b-2 JOHN
      b 1685, m Gwentholyn Bowen Davis, a Welsh heiress.

      b-3 SOLOMON
      No definite information. A Solomon Hoge m Mary Glass, sister of Rev. Joseph Glass, of Frederick County, Va., in 1'787, and is almost certain to have been a son or grandson of this Solomon.

      b-4 MARGARET
      b 1688, m Dr. Robert White during the residence of her father in Delaware. She moved with her father when he came to Virginia, and d in 1764. A great-great-granddaughter of hers m Thomas K. Cartmell, at present, and for many years, Clerk of the Court of Frederick County, Va.

      b-5 WILLIAM
      Moved to Loudoun County, Virginia, and m a Quaker. He had a large number of descendants.

      b-6 ALEXANDER
      Was a member of the Virginia Constitutional Convention which adopted the Federal Constitution and was a member of the first Congress. Descendants unknown.

      b-7 JAMES
      b 1706, m first Agnes Crawford, second, Nancy Griffith. He d June 2, 1795.

      b-8 GEORGE
      Was one of the first Bench of Magistrates of Frederick County, Virginia. He moved south. No definite information of descendants.

      b-9 ZEBULON
      No information.

      b-10 NANCY
      m Robert Wilson, and lived and d near Opequon Church. Is buried there; no trace.

      (2) Tracey, Grace L. & Dern, John P., Pioneers of Old Monocacy: The Early Settlement of Frederick County, Maryland, 1721-1743, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1987, p. 87:

      William Hogg was a taxable in East Nottingham Township of Chester County, Pennsylvania from 1718 to 1730 and appeared in the Hopewell Minutes sometimes as Hoge, sometimes as Hogue.

      (3) O'Dell, Cecil, Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing Company, 1995, pp. 281-286:


      William Hoge (b. 1670 c.) ?of County of Monmouth in the Eastern Division of New Jersey a taylor? purchased 1,000 acres of land from ?John Budd of the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania a brewer and Sarah Morrey of the same place widdow? for 5 shillings on 10 November 1710. The 1,000 acres comprised ?two 500 acres surveyed and in the County of Chester (or reputed to be in Chester County)? Pennsylvania. The land lay near Elk River (probably Big Elk Creek) adjacent to Robert West and Andrew Job. As condition to the sale, Hoge was to pay 3 shillings, 4 pence ?quit-rents? annually to William Penn. Fifteen years subsequent to the sale, it was recorded on 13 August 1725. Hoge received a release from Lord Baltimore which recorded the quit-rents. The land was located on the western side of Big Elk Creek in East Nottingham Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania where William paid taxes from 1725 through 1730. His son William Hoge, Jr. (b. 1700 c.) was taxed in the same township from 1726 through 1732. William Hoge Sr. was an adjacent landowner to Abraham Hollingsworth and Martin Cartmell in Cecil County, Maryland on 1 February 1720/21. This indicates that part of his land was in Maryland.

      William (b. 1670 c.) probably moved to a branch of Opequon Creek (named Hoge Run at present-day Kernstown, Virginia on U.S. Highway 11) in 1729. Robert Brooke surveyed the land where he was living on 15 December 1734 and listed it as 401 acres. William received a patent from the Colony of Virginia for the land (as 411 acres) on 12 November 1735. . . . On a 1740 survey, William Hoge Sr.?s house is shown 5 to 6 poles inside his west corner, approximately 1,100 feet west-northwest of the church.

      He sold 205 acres, of the 411 acres, to Robert Willson for one pound, 12 shillings on 5 May 1740. . . . He sold the remaining 206 acres (where he lived) to his son William Hoge Jr. for 100 pounds on 28 October 1744. . . . Prior to this sale, he appointed his son William as his ?Lawfull Attorney to be in charge of any charges or disbursements on me or Barbara my Wife . . . to supply us in all our Wants during our natural lives.? On 19 February 1745, William Sr. sold two acres, part of the 411 acres, to ?David Vance, Joseph Colvill, Robert Willson, Robert Allan, William Reed, John Wilson, William Chambers, Thomas Marquis, David Vance, James Vance, Robert Smith, James Hogg, Jr., Robert White, William McMachen, Samuel Glass, David Glass . . . for f ive shillings . . . two acres . . . near the Presbyterian Meeting house where it now stands on the Land of said William Hogg, Sr. . . . A burying place together with Timber sufficient from any part of the Hoggs Land to repair the Meeting house.? . . .

      William Hoge, Sr. of Nottingham, Chester County, Pennsylvania dated his will on 17 April 1729, listing his wife Barbara and sons: John, William, Alexander, James and George. He also listed sons-in-law Neal Thomson and Robert White. He listed only one daughter, Joreter, indicating that his other daughter may have died. George Hoge was appointed administrator of the estate on 15 November 1749. His wife Barbara must have died before him (after 20 October 1744) as it was his widow Mary Hoge who released all rights and title of dower in 203 acres of land to George Hoge, the administrator of the estate, for 40 shillings yearly. This release was recorded in Frederick County, Virginia on 15 November 1750.

      William Hoge, Jr. (b. 1700 c.) sold the 206 acres (purchased from his father for 100 pounds in 1744) back to his father for 100 pounds on 5 May 1746.

      John Hoge (b. 1697 c.) was the eldest son of William Hoge, Sr. (b. 1670 c.) and was living in Pennsboro (Township), Lancaster County, Pennsylvania on 27 September 1748 when his will was dated, listing his sons: John, Jonathan, David and Benjamin. He listed his wife Gweenthleen and daughters: Mary, Elizabeth, Rachel, Sarah, Abigail and Rebeckah, who was deceased by 29 September 1748. The will was submitted for probate on 19 November 1754.

      John Hoge (b. 1723 c.) of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania was the eldest son and legal heir-at-law of John and the grandson of William Hoge, Sr. He sold the 206-acre tract (less the two acres for the church) to his uncle George Hoge for 50 pounds on 17 November 1749.

      George Hoge (b. 1708 c., son of William Hoge, Sr.) and his wife Elizabeth subsequently sold the 206-acre tract to Reece Pritchard for 150 pounds on 1 March 1757; Pritchard was living on the land at the time of the sale. George and Elizabeth moved to Hampshire County, Virginia (West Virginia) where they owned 400 acres (24 August 1749) on the South Branch of Potomac River. They sold the 400-acre grant land to Gabriel Jones for 80 pounds on 22 June 1753. They also owned 118 acres (surveyed in 1753) on Hogue Creek adjacent Hoop Petticoat Gap, Dr. White, Elijah Odell and James McMullen on 22 May 1764. After they moved to Granville County, North Carolina, they sold the 118 acres . . . to Robert Rutherford for 100 pounds on 29 June 1765.

      Reverend John Hoge (b. 1723, grandson of William Hoge Sr.) received a Fairfax grant for 393 acres (where Benjamin Smith lived) on 20 December 1754. Hoge had bought the land from Smith at the time of the survey on 19 March 1751.
      This 393 acres was originally surveyed as a 415-acre tract on 3 November 1735 for Benjamin Smith. . . . The following information is from Josiah Dickinson in The Fairfax Proprietary, p. 128, citing a letter of (Thomas) Lord Fairfax to George William Fairfax, dated May 5, 1755:

      ?Dear George

      ?I wrote you some time ago about a piece of land surveyed for Ben Smith on Opeckon, who married Captain Chester?s daughter, who has been with me, and has given her consent that the deed should come out in the name of Mr. John Hogg. The said Smith has run away to Carolina, and she, for the benefit of her children has agreed with the said Hogg and the executors of Capt Chester to exchange said land for another of Chester?s whereon she has always lived. If it is agreeable to the practice of the office, I am willing to consent to it, and will take care that the children have justice done them by Chester?s executors. . . .?

      Since the will of Thomas Chester names daughter, Elizabeth Smith, it is presumed that she was the wife of Benjamin Smith. The land which the Smith children inherited was on the south (east) side of the south fork of the Shenandoah near Front Royal. The deed of Chester?s executors to Thomas, David, Edward, Martin and Nathan Smith is recorded in Frederick County Deed Book 17 at page 17.

      Reverend Hoge received another Fairfax grant on 8 November 1766 for 400 acres adjacent southwest of his 393-acre grant. These two tracts are located southwest of Winchester, Virginia with Cedar Creek Grade Road/County Highway 622 crossing the southern part of the 393-acre tract and Merriams Lane/County Highway 621 crossing the eastern part of both tracts. The land is served by Stribling Run, a branch of Opequon Creek.

      James Hoge (b. 1705 c., son of William Hoge Sr.) purchased 760 acres from Jost Hite on 26 May 1742. This land was part of Hite?s 2,168-acre patent land acquired on 3 October 1734. (orange County Deed Book states ?part of 3,395-acre patent?) Hoge paid 190 pounds for this tract located on Meadow Brook (a branch of Cedar Creek which was a branch of the North River Shenandoah). This land is on U.S. Highway 11, about 1x mile south of Middleton, Virginia with the southernmost tips in Warren County. Interstate Highway 81 is on the southeast part and the entire Interstate 66 interchange lies within the tract. Frederick County Highways 624, 625 and 727 run either on or along the property which also contains the Cedar Creek Battlefield (Civil War). James Hoge and his wife Agnes sold 300 acres of the 760 acres to Isaac Hite for 60 pounds on 28 March 1748.

      James Hoge was an elder of the Presbyterian Congregation which held services at the Meeting House on Cedar Creek at Mulberry Run in 1750.

      James was deceased by 7 July 1795 when his will (dated 18 March 1793) was proved in Frederick County Court. He listed his wife Agnes and sons: Moses, James, Edward and Soloman who received the home plantation. The will also listed daughters Martha Allen, Mary Evans, Barbara Reed and two grandsons (sons of Edward that were not named). 92 Agnes was deceased by 1 October 1799 when her will was proved in Superior Court for the District composed of Berkeley, Frederick, and Shenandoah at Winchester. She listed a granddaughter Mariam Elliott and son Moses Hoge.
      William Hoge Junior (b. 1700 c., son of William Hoge Sr., b. 1670 c.) possibly moved to Bucks County, Pennsylvania after 1732 where he was a land owner in Bucks County. He owned land in Bristol Township on Pigeon Swamp adjacent to Samuel Oldale in 1733. He was in Orange County, Virginia by 31 December 1739 when Isaac Parkins sold the 12 November 1735 patent land containing 200 acres to him for 30 pounds. . . .

      William, his wife Ann and sons William and Soloman were in Bucks County, Pennsylvania by 16 April 1748 when their certificate of membership in the Quaker Church was received at the Richland Monthly Meeting. While in Pennsylvania, William sold the 200-acre patent land to George Pearis for 217 pounds on 14 November 1750. Pearis willed the land to his third son, Robert Pearis.

      William and Ann were married on 9 April 1723 and were the parents of James (b. 6 February 1724/25), William (b. 4 March 1726), Soloman (b. 21 May 1729), George (b. 6 April 1733), Joseph (b. 1 February 1735/36), Zebulon (b. 15 June 1738) and Ann (b. 26 February 1740/41), as listed in the Richland Monthly Meeting records. William (b. 1700 c.) moved to Loudoun County, Virginia after his wife died on 21 April 1759.

      On 21 November 1754, William (b. 1700 c.) received a Fairfax grant while in Pennsylvania for 191 acres which had been surveyed on 19 October 1750 as 194 acres. This land was adjacent southeast of his 200-acre Parkins patent land . . . and adjacent to James Wood?s and Isaac Parkins? land. . . . William and Mary (evidently his second wife) sold the 194 acres to David Denney for 100 pounds on 19 March 1764.

      William Hoge III (b. 1726, son of William Jr., b. 1700 c.) and his wife Esther sold a 200-acre part of the 400 acres to his brother George Hoge (b. 1733) for 20 pounds on 4 August 1766. This land was surveyed as a 528-acre and a 400-acre tract in 1750 and 1752. Fairfax grants were issued for both surveys in 1752 to William Hoge Junior of Pennsylvania and William Hoge of Frederick County, Virginia. . . . This land is located about one mile north of U.S. Highway 50 at Hay Market, Virginia on Frederick County Highway 600 to 679 east to Hogue Creek.

      Soloman Hoge (b. 1729, son of William Hoge Jr. , b. 1700 c. ) and his wife Ann of Loudoun County, Virginia, sold 233 acres of land to Isaac Greenleaf for 100 pounds on 12 December 1761. Soloman received a Fairfax grant for this land (surveyed in 1750) on 1 January 1753 and 9 October 1756. Soloman and his wife Ann were the parents of Sarah (b. 1752), Joseph, David, Soloman, David, Ann, Isaac, Mary, Hannah, Tamar and Rebecca (b. 1770). Soloman?s second wife was Mary Nichols; their children were children Lydia (b. 1774), William, Joshua, George, Margery, Jesse and Amy (b. 1788).

      On 1 January 1753, James Hoge Junior (b. 1725, son of William Hoge Jr., b. 1700 c.) received a Fairfax grant for 235 acres adjacent southwest of his father?s 200-acre patent land. . . . James and his wife Mary sold the 235 acres to Isaac Greenleaf, merchant in Philadelphia, on 19 December 1761. James Hoge and children Jacob, Phebe and William received a Quaker certificate of membership from Hopewell Monthly Meeting on 1 November 1774 to move to Bush River Monthly Meeting in present-day Newberry County, South Carolina. The certificate was endorsed at Bush River to the Wrightsboro Monthly Meeting in present-day McDuffie County, Georgia, on 27 January 1775.

      William Hoge Jr. (b. 1700 c.) was deceased by 13 July 1789 when his will (dated 13 April 1789) was proved in Loudoun County, Virginia Court. He listed sons George, Zebulon, James, William and Soloman. He also listed daughter Nancy Hays, wife of William Hays.

      A George Hoge was deceased by 1725 in New Castle County, Delaware, leaving Ann Hoge and John Hoge as executors of his will. A James Hoge (son of George Hoge, deceased) and his wife Joanna sold land to Geowe Gregg and his wife Sarah (daughter of George Hoge, deceased).

      (4) Frederick County, Virginia, Hopewell Friends History [database online], Orem, UT:, 1997:

      In the State Land Office at Richmond are to be found recorded in Book 16, pages 315-415, inclusive, the patents issued to the settlers who came to the Shenandoah Valley under authority of the Orders in Council made to Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan. All bear date of November 12, 1735, and recite that the grantee is one of the seventy families brought in by them, and excepting location and acreage, are alike in wording and conditions, and are signed by William Gooch, Lieutenant-Governor of the Colony at that time. . . .

      These patents were issued under the seal of the colony and were grants from the Crown, free of any obligation of feudal services to the Fairfax family, who claimed the land as lords proprietors of the Northern Neck of Virginia. The sixth Lord Fairfax, who later established his home at Greenway Court near Winchester, instituted many suits against early settlers in the Shenandoah Valley, but it does not appear that any Friend who claimed under Ross and Bryan was ever ejected from his land.

      Although it is specifically stated that seventy families have been "by them brought in to our said Colony and settled upon the Lands in the said Order mentioned," only thirty-six patents issued to thirty-four grantees have been found. The names of these grantees are here given, together with sundry information gathered from the minutes of various Friends' meetings, from the records of the counties of Orange and Frederick in Virginia, and Chester County, Pennsylvania. . . .

      William Hogg, 411 acres. This land lies just southwest of the village of Kernstown and about four miles from Winchester. William Hogg, Hoge, or Hogue, as the name was variously spelled, was living in Chester County, Pa., where he was taxed in East Nottingham Township from 1718 to 1730, after which year he removed to Virginia. His first wife was Barbara Hume, who was the mother of all his children.

      William Hoge died before August 8, 1749. On that day his will was filed and recorded in the Frederick County clerk's office, but was not probated. His widow, Mary Hoge, declined accepting the provisions thereof, and claimed her dower. The land came into the possession of the Rev. John Hoge, the heir-at-law, he being the eldest son of his father John, who in turn was the eldest son of William. On this land stands the old Opequon Presbyterian Church, organized by the Rev. James Anderson in 1737, and which, except for one or two short periods, has served that denomination to this day. In 1745 William Hoge conveyed to the trustees of this church two acres for a burying ground, but did not as frequently stated, donate the church lot, which was purchased in 1795 by the trustees from Adam Kern and Christina, his wife, who at that time owned most of this old patent.

      On the site of the original home of William Hoge stands the large mansion house, now the home of Mrs. Hardy Grim, and which was built about 1850 by Stephen Pritchard, whose family owned the tract for many years. In the graveyard west of this house are buried many of the Hoges and Pritchards.

      William and Barbara Hoge left many descendants, among whom may be found ministers, college presidents, statesmen, and teachers, many of whom became nationally known. The minute books of Hopewell Monthly Meeting and the Frederick County records make frequent reference to his sons John, William Jr., Alexander, James, and George.
    Person ID I9736  Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
    Last Modified 29 Dec 2018 

    Family 1 Barbara HUME,   b. Abt 1663, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 20 Oct 1744, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 81 years) 
    Married Perth Amboy, Middlesex County, NJ Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Zebulon HOGE  [natural]
     2. Solomon HOGE  [natural]
     3. John HOGE,   b. 1685  [natural]
     4. Margaret HOGE,   b. 1688  [natural]
     5. William HOGE, Jr.,   b. Abt 1701  [natural]
     6. Alexander HOGE,   b. Abt 1703  [natural]
     7. James HOGE,   b. 1706  [natural]
     8. George HOGE,   b. 1708  [natural]
     9. Nancy HOGE,   b. Abt 1710  [natural]
    Last Modified 29 Dec 2018 19:11:43 
    Family ID F4792  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Mary (HUME) 
    Married Aft 20 Oct 1744  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 29 Dec 2018 19:11:43 
    Family ID F4795  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart