1620 - 1682 (~ 67 years)
||Thomas SYMES |
||Between 1615 and 1620
(1) Jay B. Wright, http://people.ne.mediaone.net/lsimms/tsdescent.html:
4. THOMAS SYMES, b. c. 1615-1620 at Somerset, Eng. He m. 3 June 1640 at the Parish of Keynsham, Somerset, Eng., Amy Bridges. He was "of Winterbourne, co. Gloucester, later of Poundsford." He d. (when?) at Somerset, Eng. Petty (p. 3) says, "Thomas Symms was part of the Symms family of Somerset. This was a large landed family with many estates and manors. He was born in the area of Poundisford, which is the name of an estate in the Parish of Pitminster, just south of Taunton, Somerset, England."
(2) Brockman, William Everett, Orange County Virginia Families, Vol. III, Minneapolis, MN: 1959, pp. 66-76:
Thomas Symes, son of John of Poundsford and his wife Amy Horner, In Brown's Somerset Wills, p. 48, there can be found the tabulated descendants of Edw. Bridges, showing that he md. Phillippa, dau. of Sir Geo. Speke, and that his fifth child, Amy md. Thomas Symes in 1640.
Will of Elizabeth Symes, dau. of Thomas Symes & his wife, Amy Bridges: "Eliz. Symes of Doynton, Glouc., spinster. Will dated Nov. 22, 1675; pro. July 12, 1676 (Gloucester Will). My body to be buried at the disposing of my loving Ants!, Mrs. Eliz. Langton & Mrs. Katherine Bridges. To brothers Henry, Geo. & Richard Symes, 5 lbs. each. Rings to my bro. Edw. and John, my sisters Amy, Katherine, and Mary Symes, my cousin Eliz. Guise, my cousin Still, Mr. and Mrs. Wilkes, Mr. Ware & my cousin Ann Merideth. 5 lbs. to my 'Ant' Langton "Ant' Bridges, bro. Wm. Symes. Poor of Doynton. To my Uncle Geo. Bridges?Robert Wilskes for sermon. To Mary Seymour. To my bro. Thomas Symes. To my uncle Mr. Guise. To my bro. Charles; bro. Edw. & John Symes. Residue to my sisters Amy & Katherine, Extrices.
From Somerset Wills - First Series - Brown, p. 53
Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
John Langton md. Eliz. Bridges. In his will in Brown's Somerset Wills - 4th Series, he refers to Henry Symes, son of his brother-in-law, Thomas Symes.
"Eliz. Langton of Doynton, Co., Clouc. widow. Will 1696, Codicil 1699 prob. Apr. 24, 1703, by Charles Symes & Amy Meridth. Names nephew Harry Bridges bro. Sir Thomas Bridges, nephews Harry & Geo. Bridges, nieces Ann Powell & Eliz. Orange, cousin Arabella Bridges dau. of Harry Bridges, cousin William Bridges, cousin Edw. Symes, cousins Harry Symes, Geo. Symes, Charles Symes, Wm. Guise; Nephew John Symes, to his son John Symes & each of his two daus.; To Wm. Symes, Thomas Symes, & Richard Symes sons of Nephew Wm. Symes....to their sister Amy Symes. Mary, wife of nephew Richard Symes, Ann, wife of nephew Charles Symes; to poor of Almeshouse erected by my bro. Sir Thomas Bridges; to Mary wife of Nephew Wm. Symes; To Charles Symes & Amy Meredith heirs of Tenement now in the possession of Deborah Mathew; to Amy Symes, dau. of Nephew William, articles that belonged to my sister Katherine Bridges; to niece Amy Powell my silver "Bason that hath my own Coat of Arms ingraved on it'; my niece Ann Still; Eliz. Symes, dau. of my Nephew Charles Symes; Cousin Matthew Huntley of Boxwell London." Pro. Apr. 24, 1703.
THOMAS SYMES (son of John of Poundsford by Amy Horner) and his wife Amy Bridges had issue:
1. GEORGE SYMES, b. circa 1643, of whom later.
2. Richard, d. in 1723 (Will in Brown's Fourth Series p. 71), leaving his estate to his nephew Richard, son of his late bro., Wm., for life, remainder to his great-nephew Richard, son of his nephew Thomas, remainder to the elder son of said Thomas, remainder to said Thomas's bro., Wm. Symes, a clergyman.
3. John d. before 1696, leaving a son John & 2 daughters.
4. Edw. m. Susanna Champion "Edw. Symes of Bridgewater & Susanna Champion widow, Oct. 12, 1676", from "Marriage Licenses in Bath & Wells Before 1755" in N. Y. Library page 7 - note.
5. Charles m. Ann Creed "June 21, 1686, Charles Symes, Rector of Compton Martyn, Somerset, Bachelor 36, and Ann Creed of the Close of Salsbury Spinster 28".
6. Henry, of Island of Antigua, West Indies. He had sons John & Edw. in 1713 (Will of Wm. Phillippes, Brown's 4th Ed. p. 84)
7. Thomas, b. 1642; d. without issue; m. Merriel.
||Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
||26 Feb 2017 |
||John SYMES, b. 04 Mar 1572, Chard, Somersetshire, England , d. 21 Oct 1661, Winterbourne, Gloucestershire, England (Age 89 years) |
||Amy HORNER, b. Abt 1575, Mels, Somersetshire, England , d. Bef 1658, Poundisford, Pitminster Parish, Somersetshire, England (Age ~ 82 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Amy BRIDGES, b. Abt 1604, Keynsham Parish, Somersetshire, England , d. Abt 1663, Poundisford, Pitminster Parish, Somersetshire, England (Age ~ 59 years) |
||03 Jun 1640
||Keynsham Parish, Somersetshire, England
| ||1. George SYMES, I, b. 1643, Somersetshire, England , d. 1687, Antigua, British West Indies (Age 44 years) [Natural]|
||26 Feb 2017 10:41:16 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart