First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Capt. Lewis NEILL, Sr.

Male 1704 - Bef 1776  (< 71 years)


Personal Information    |    PDF

  • Name Lewis NEILL 
    Title Capt. 
    Suffix Sr. 
    Born 22 Sep 1704  Ireland [now Northern Ireland] Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Will 10 Aug 1775  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died Bef 5 Mar 1776  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Probate 5 Mar 1776  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Hopewell Meeting Burying Ground, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 
    • (1) Source: FamilySearchâ„¢ Pedigree Resource File, Compact Disc #97, Pin #666570, Submission #288516-1109103195405.

      (2) Jolliffe, William, Historical, Genealogical, and Biographical Account of the Jolliffe Family of Virginia, 1652 to 1893, Philadelphia, PA: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1893, pp. 176-182, 190:

      The Society of Friends in North Ireland grew and flourished amid all kinds of persecutions, which were continued with more or less severity until the middle of the eighteenth century. In the year 1730, Lewis Neill and his two brothers, John and William, took passage from Lurgan, Ireland, and landed in Pennsylvania, and family tradition says settled near Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Finding the lands thereabouts mostly taken up, and few opportunities offering for getting on in the world, John and Lewis were early attracted to the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, which was then being opened up by Scotch-Irish and Friends under the patronage of Alexander Ross. These brothers left home because they were unwilling to bear arms in what they considered an unrighteous cause. They were the grandsons of the above William Neill.

      About the year 1733 they left Pennsylvania in company with a number of Friends, and permanently took up their residence in the Valley of Virginia. We have no record of William over having moved from Pennsylvania, nor do we know where his descendants reside. John first settled on the banks of the Opecquon Creek, at what is known as the Spout Spring. now in Clarke County, Virginia. His brother Lewis fixed his home on the banks of the same stream about a mile and a half farther down, at a point now familiarly known as the Burnt Factory. The lands in the Valley being all prairies and covered with grass, the early immigrants sought the banks of the streams on which to build their homes, because of the proximity of wood and water, taking up the rich prairie lands as farms. Lewis at first made his home in a small cave on the banks of this stream until such time as he was able to rear and complete the large, old-fashioned, hipped-roof house, still standing (at that day considered the finest in the county), in which be resided until his death. These brothers, though members of the Society of Friends in Ireland, did not bring their certificates with them, and were not actually members of the Society afterwards, though they always leaned towards that body in religious belief. Lewis soon began to acquire property by grants from the Crown, and from Lord Fairfax, and by purchase. He built a large grist-mill near his house, one of the first in the county, and opened his house as an ordinary, as did most of the gentlemen of that day, the population being sparse and scattered. He was largely engaged in business of a mercantile character, trading in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, and is said to have occasionally dabbled in slaves. He soon became one of the acknowledged leaders among the early settlers.

      In the year 1743 the settlements had so rapidly increased, upon a petition of the leading citizens, "His Excellency, William Gooch, Lieutenant Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the forces of the colony and province of Virginia, by the grace of his most gracious Majesty, our Sovereign Lord, George II., King, defender of the faith, etc.," issued commissions as Justices of the Pence and of the County Court in Chancery to "our trusty and well beloved Morgan Morgan, Benjamin Bordon, Thomas Chester, David Vance. Andrew Campbell. Marquis Calms, Thomas Rutherford. Lewis Neill, William McMaChen, Meredith Helm, George Hoge, John White, and Thomas Little, gentlemen," accompanied by a dedimus for the administering of the oath of office to the appointees.

      On November 11, 1743, the gentlemen met at the house of James Wood, just west of what is the centre of the present town of Winchester. Having met, Morgan Morgan and David Vance administered the oath to the others named in the commission, who, having taken their seats as Justices for Frederick County, appointed James Wood clerk of the court and Thomas Rutherford high sheriff. George Home was appointed surveyor. It was "ordered that the sheriff build a twelve foot square log house logged above and below to secure his prisoners. he agreeing to be satisfied with whatever shall be allowed him for such building by two of the court and he not to be responsible for escapes."

      On May 12 of the same year Thomas Chester, David Vance, Lewis Neill, and others were appointed to take a list of the titbables. On September 8, 1748, Duncan O'Gullion, having finished the jail for the sheriff, Thomas Rutherford, was paid by the Justices the sum of eighty pounds. The committee to decide upon the structure and the price to be paid were James Wood, George Johnston, Lewis Neill, and William McMachen. On March 9, 1743, James Wood entered into an obligation with the Gentlemen Justices of the county of Frederick, of whom Lewis Neill was one, to lay off a certain tract of land and donate the same for a town to be called Winchester or Fredericktown. This land was added to by Lord Fairfax, and in February, 1752, the General Assembly passed an act for establishing the town of Winchester, and appointed fairs to be held therein.

      Lewis Neill was commissioned sheriff of Frederick County by Lewis Burrell, president of the Council of Virginia, April 19, 1751. He was the fifth person to hold this office. His bondsmen were Meredith Helm, Samuel Earle, Thomas Swearingen, Leonard Helm, William Cocks, Robert Calvert, Peter Wolf, John Jones, John Madden, John Shearer, John Thurman, John McCormick, all of Frederick County, and William Russell, of Culpeper County. They were bound in the sum of one thousand pounds sterling. The cornmission was renewed September 13, 1751, and he was always afterwards styled Lewis Neill, gentleman.

      During his life he was called by his neighbors Captain Neill, no doubt because of this commission. He seems to have patronized the courts very largely and gave the lawyers plenty to do, his name appearing in many judgments through a long series of years. He married, about the year 1737, Lydia, daughter of Abraham Hollingsworth, who was the grandson of Valentine Hollingsworth, who came over before Penn in the " Welcome," in 1682.

      By this lady he had two daughters and five sons, namely, Ann, born January 28, 1738; William, born March 7, 1740; John, born October 20,1744; Lewis, born July 12, 1747; Thomas, born September 22, 1750; Abraham, born September 26, 1753; Rebecca, born July 28, 1756; and Joseph, born November 22, 1757.

      Lewis Neill became a wealthy man, owning large estates, mills, and other property. He was very industrious in business, upright and fair in all transactions. He was very firm and courageous in his convictions of right and justice, and when a member of the Justices' Court of the county often vigorously opposed Lord Fairfax, who was disposed to carry matters with a high hand, and to whom many of the justices tamely submitted because of his rank and position as Lord Proprietor. At his death, which occurred the latter part of the year 1775, he left his large family well provided for. His grandson, our cousin Joseph Neill, estimated his possessions at not less than forty-nine thousand acres of land, and he was worth probably two or three hundred thousand dollars in the currency of that time. In later life it seems he must have attended Friends' Meetings quite regularly, but I can find no account of his ever having joined them. He worked with his own hands as a mason upon the walls (as did also Abraham Hollingsworth) of the large stone meeting-house at Hopewell, and contributed largely towards its erection. His remains were interred in the Hopewell Graveyard beside those of his wife. . . .

      Lewis Neill directed, after the . . . legacies and his just debts were paid, that the remainder of his estate should be sold and equally divided between his five sons, and "desired that his children may not sell or dispose of his negroes out of the family." He appointed his five sons executors of his last will and testament. This will was drawn August 10, 1775, and probated March 5, 1776.

      (3) O'Dell, Cecil, Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing Company, 1995, pp. 230, 232-233:

      NEILL

      John Neill (b. 1710 c.) and his brother Lewis Neill (b. 1715 c.) were in Orange County, Virginia by 4 November 1735 when James Wood surveyed a 640-acre tract of land for them. This tract, part of Jost Hite's grant land, was located on the Great Pond Branch of Opequon Creek. John and Lewis divided this land, Lewis receiving the north section and John and his children the southern part, by Fairfax grants. The tract is on the east side of Opequon Creek with Virginia Highway 7 running through the center. Dry Marsh Run crosses the north end and Clarke County Highway 635 cuts across the center of the land, from north to south. . . .

      On 2 October 1738, John and Lewis purchased 150 acres situated on both sides of Opequon Creek (Clarke and Frederick County, Virginia) from Rees Smith. The land was approximately ½ mile south of a new road (Virginia Highway 761) that connected with Jost Hite's Road (Summit Point). . . .

      John Neill (b. 1710 c.) and his brother Lewis controlled or owned outright approximately 5,800 acres of land in present-day Clarke County, Virginia. Their land began at Clarke County, Virginia Highway 761 on the north and ran four miles south along the Opequon Creek to about one mile south of Virginia Highway 7. From Opequon Creek, it extended east about two miles to Clarke County, Virginia Highway 660, 674, 656 and 659. Only John Neill's (b. 1751) tracts of 300 acres and 311 acres were east of these roads.

      Lewis Neill (b. 1715 c.) owned approximately 4,000 acres of land in this area. Around 1737, he married Lydia Hollingsworth (b. 1718 c.), the daughter of Abraham (b. 1686) and Ann Hollingsworth. Lewis was appointed a justice of the First Court of Frederick County and a Captain of the Militia. Lewis and Lydia's daughter married Henry Rees in 1762. Lydia was not listed as a witness to the marriage and may have died by that time.

      Lewis also owned 1,914 acres in Frederick County and Jefferson County, West Virginia. He and his brother John disposed of only one piece of property in their lifetime which occurred on 7 September 1756 when Lewis and his wife Lydia sold lots in Winchester to Jacob Sowers for 49 pounds.

      Lewis was deceased by 5 March 1776 when his will (dated 10 August 1775) was proved in Frederick County Court. Lewis' daughter Ann Rees was willed 520 acres of Fairfax grant land rented at the time to Jose and Edward White. She acquired possession of the 520 acres on 2 February 1768. At Ann's death, the land was to be conveyed to Lydia and Lewis Rees, son and daughter of Henry and Ann Rees. He willed 10 pounds each to grandchildren Lydia, Gideon, Lewis and Margaret Rees. This land is located near the head of and on Dry Marsh Run with Virginia Highway running through the middle of the property and Clarke County, Virginia Highway 660 near the east line. . . .
    Person ID I10358  Frost, Gilchrist and Related Families
    Last Modified 9 Aug 2018 

    Father --- NEILL 
    Relationship natural 
    Family ID F5  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Lydia HOLLINGSWORTH,   b. 1718, Cecil County, MD Find all individuals with events at this location,   bur. Hopewell Meeting Burying Ground, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married Abt 1737  Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Abraham NEILL,   b. 26 Sep 1753, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
     2. Thomas NEILL,   b. 22 Sep 1750, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
     3. Joseph NEILL,   b. 22 Nov 1757, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
     4. Rebecca NEILL,   b. 28 Jul 1756, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
     5. William NEILL,   b. 7 Mar 1740, Orange [later Frederick] County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 5 Mar 1776  (Age < 35 years)  [natural]
     6. Ann NEILL,   b. 28 Jan 1738, Orange [later Frederick] County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
     7. Lewis NEILL, Jr.,   b. 12 Jul 1747, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Nov 1841  (Age 94 years)  [natural]
     8. John NEILL,   b. 20 Oct 1744, Frederick County, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
    Last Modified 9 Aug 2018 11:01:14 
    Family ID F883  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart